When a homeowner decides to sell his home, he must make many decisions, some of which, will, generally, have a major impact, on his results, convenience, degree of hassle/ stress, etc! One of the first and most relevant decisions, is whether or not, to hire an agent, to market and sell his house, rather than attempting to do so himself. Trying to sell a home on his own, is generally referred to, as a FSBO or For Sale, by Owner, and this article, will attempt to briefly examine and discuss, 6 important factors, which should indicate, homeowners might be better served, by hiring the right, real estate agent, for their needs, priorities and concerns.
1. Knowledge of local real estate market: Doesn’t it make sense, a real estate professional, would have more relevant knowledge, about the essence of the local area and market, than an individual homeowner? This knowledge will be helpful, in evaluating the best way to market, the specific property, in order to receive the best possible, available price, in the shortest period of time, with the minimum of hassle! When homes are priced properly from the onset, they sell more quickly, and at a more favorable price, and a qualified, empathetic agent, will be able to guide a homeowner, with insight. One of the objections, some seem to initially have, to hiring an agent, is paying a commission, but, studies by the National Association of Realtors (NAR), consistently indicate, homes sold through agents, net a higher price (even after considering the commission) than a FSBO might!
2. Networking: The more a house is promoted, and, therefore, viewed, the better the chances of it being sold! Real estate agents have a network of other qualified professionals, who are most helpful, in marketing and selling houses!
3. Multiple Listing Service (MLS): Realtors take advantage of the marketing advantages of getting widespread publicity for their properties, offered for sale, as well as using the Multiple Listing Service, so the many local agents, know about, and show their listings. Remember, the more any home is viewed, the better the potential!
4. Negotiations: Quality real estate professionals have the negotiating skills and abilities, to objectively represent and sell, a specific home, and receive the best possible price and terms! Being able to negotiate, objectively, is a major advantage!
5. Compliance: Completing a real estate transaction, and completing the necessary paperwork, in a seamless manner, reduces many of the potential obstacles, challenges and snags, in this process! Realtors have the ability to guide their clients, based on experience and expertise, and bring the parties together, with a meeting of the minds!
6. Impartial eyes: My personal trademarked slogan is, I’ll tell you what you need to know, not just what you want to hear. It’s often challenging for a homeowner to objectively consider, how to price and position his own house, for effective sale!
These are just, 6 factors, which indicate, some of the advantages, and reasons, to hire a quality, real estate agent. With this in mind, doesn’t it make sense, to interview, and choose, the best professional, to represent you, and serve your needs?