If you’re encountering frequent Dota 2 crashes while loading the game or during the middle of the gameplay, proceed through this article. Follow all applicable solutions for Windows 8/ 7/ Vista and XP computers.
Set Auto Config Launch
There are some predefined values in the game launcher settings. Set Auto Config mode as follows:
1. Open Steam and click Library.
2. Right click Dota 2 and select Properties.
3. Click “Set launch options..”, remove default launch options and type “-autoconfig”.
4. Click OK and restart the game.
Set Safe Launch
If Auto Config mode doesn’t work, try Safe Launch mode from the same launcher settings.
1. Repeat Steps 1-2 from the above paragraph.
2. Click “Set launch options..”, remove existing value and type “-safe”.
3. Click OK and restart the game.
Change Process Affinity
Process Affinity can be changed through the Registry Editor. Set Process Affinity to Core 0 and Core 1 processors to fix Dota 2 crashes.
1. Open the game.
2. Press Alt + Tab to minimize it and switch to your desktop.
3. Right click the Taskbar, select Task Manager.
4. For earlier versions of Windows, click the Processes tab. Windows 8 users click Details tab.
5. Right click Dota2.exe, select “Set Affinity”.
6. Select Core 0 and Core 1 checkboxes and click OK.
7. Close Task Manager and restore the game in full screen.
Change NVidia Control Panel Settings
NVidia Control Panel contains several graphical settings. Set recommended settings in it.
1. Click the Start button.
2. Click NVidia Control Panel.
3. Click “Select a task… ” on the left hand side panel.
4. Click 3D Settings | Manage 3D Settings | Program Settings.
5. Click “Add” button under “Select a program” category.
6. Browse to the Dota 2 installation folder- C:Program Files (x86)SteamSteamAppsdownloading570dota.exe.
7. Set Preferred Graphics: High Performance NVidia Processor
8. Click Apply.
Disable Desktop Composition
Desktop Composition is a feature which is a part of compatibility options. Disable it if it doesn’t support your system.
1. Right click Dota 2 desktop shortcut, select Properties.
2. Click the Compatibility tab.
3. Check-up the box labelled “Disable desktop composition”.
4. Click Apply | OK.
Disable Switchable Graphics
Switchable Graphics settings can be found in the BIOS Settings page. However, some machines may not have such an option.
1. Restart your computer.
2. Press F2 or Delete key randomly.
3. BIOS Settings page will open.
4. Search for a setting called “Switchable Graphics”.
5. Disable it.
6. Select Exit | Save settings and exit.
Reset Texture and Render Quality Settings
Reset the texture and render quality settings as shown below:
1. Open the game.
2. Click Settings | Video | Advanced.
3. Set lower Texture and higher Render Quality.
4. Click the Save Settings button, exit and restart it.
Provide Read/ Write Permissions to Registry Hives
Failure to obtain registry read/ write permissions can cause settings retrieval problems. Fix Dota 2 crashes by providing necessary permissions to the game registry hives.
1. Click Start | All Programs | Accessories | Run.
2. Type “RegEdit” in the Search Box. Press ENTER.
3. Open this registry path: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftware
4. Right click the “Value” key, select “Permissions”.
5. Check-up all boxes in the “Allowed” column.
6. Click OK and exit.
Verify Cache Files Integrity
Verify integrity of the game cache files.
1. Open Steam.
2. Click Library
3. Right click the game, select Properties.
4. Click Local Files | Verify Integrity of Game Cache.